|How to boil and bake a ham
How to boil a ham, then if you wish, you can bake it with honey, mustard and cloves to finish it off.
1. Wash the ham, in a few changes of water.
2. Boil for 25 minutes per 450g with the lid on, on a low heat. Keep the plastic on to keep its shape. If you are using gas, be careful the water doesn't spill out and extinguish the gas (keep a check on it).
3. After the first 25 minutes, change the water, refreshing with boiling water.
4. If you have a large piece and are cooking it for another 25 minutes, change the water again with more boiling water if you wish (this helps to remove the salt and the nitrates from the ham. This is especially important if you or your family are on a low-salt diet).
6. When it is cooked, lift it out carefully, drain and pat dry. Now remove the outer layer of fat, leaving a thin layer behind. Score the fat. Stud with cloves, and brush with a mixture of mustard and honey.
7. Bake in a preheated oven atá 200║ C/360║ F/Gas Mark 4 for 15-20 minutes. If you don't want the dripping syrup to burn, put the ham on a roasting grid.